The LSA is governed by an elected Executive Committee and a 24-member Board of Trustees.
Laura Beth Nielsen
Northwestern University, Professor and Chair of Sociology, USA
New York Law School, USA
Global Affairs & Public Policy and Sociology, University of Toronto, Canada
Howard S. Erlanger
Sociology, University of Wisconsin-Madison, USA
LAW & SOCIETY REVIEW
School of Social and Family Dynamics , Arizona State University, USA
University of Massachusetts, Amherst, USA
Positions and Terms
All officers and trustees of the LSA governance are elected by the membership to fixed terms. Elections are held in the fall of each year to fill all open offices.
- President: Presidents are elected to serve a two-year term.
- Secretary: The Secretary is elected to a two-year term.
- Treasurer: The Treasurer is appointed by the Board and serves a three-year term.
- Editors: Two Editors (General Editor and Book Review Editor) are selected by the Board of Trustees to serve three-year terms.
- Executive Officer: The Board of Trustees select the Executive Officer, who serves a five-year term, renewable.
- Executive Committee: The Executive Committee consists of the officers listed above as well as three class representatives from the Board of Trustees.
- Board of Trustees: Each year, the LSA membership elects a class of eight individuals to serve a three-year term on the Board of Trustees.