Get to Know Gregory Shaffer!
Institution: University of California, Irvine | School of Law
Number of years as LSA member: 23
Number of LSA Meetings Attended: 23
LSA Collaborative Research Network (CRN) Affiliation:
LSA Governance Position(s) and Committees:
- Program Committee Chair, 2013 Annual Meeting in Boston
- Program Committee (Berlin 2007)
- Program Committee (Toronto 2018)
- 2nd Half Century Project Committee (2014-2015)
- Chair of Grants Committee (early 2000s)
- Multiple prize committees
- International Committee (2018-)
Areas of Research:
- Law and Globalization
- International Economic Law
Favorite Topics to Teach or Research:
- Law and Globalization
- Transnational Legal Theory
- International Trade Law
- New Legal Realism
Professor Shaffer is currently the President-Elect for the American Society of International Law (ASIL). He also serves on the Founding Executive Council for the Society of International Economic Law (SIEL).
Professor Shaffer is widley published in academic law journals and has written nine books and over 100 articles and book chapters on cross-disciplinary topics such as international trade law and law and globalization. However, Professor Shaffer also shares a passion for creative writing. A graduate of Dartmouth College where he studied English & Creative Writing, he tries to read at least one poem a day and has even published a chapbook.
- Inaugural John Jackson Memorial Prize (Journal of International Economic Law, 2016)
- Shimizu Visiting Professorship (London School of Economics, 2015)
- Fernand Braudel Fellowship (European University Institute, Florence, 2009)
- Two National Science Foundation (NSF) Law and Social Science Awards
- Fulbright Research Scholar (Rome, 2007)
Emerging Powers and the World Trading System: The Past and Future of International Economic Law (Cambridge University Press 2021)
This book explains the rise of China, India, and Brazil in the international trading system and the implications for trade law.
Other Top Books:
Professor Shaffer’s publications include nine books and over one hundred articles and book chapters.
“Varieties of New Legal Realism: Can a New World Order Spur a New Scholarly Agenda,” 95 Cornell Law Review 61-138 (2009) | (Co-Authored by Victoria Nourse).
Professor Shaffer has been featured in numerous digital and print mass media outlets. Please visit his UCI bio to view a complete list of media appearances.
Listed below are some of Professor Shaffer’s media appearances:
- The Hill: Prof. Shaffer op-ed: The US must engage with China – even when countering China (2021)
- The Huffington Post: Prof. Shaffer writes: Will the U.S. Undermine the WTO? (2017)
- The Atlantic: Prof. Shaffer quoted on U.S. Trade Rep. Lighthizer’s approach to the WTO (2018)
- The Guardian: Prof. Shaffer comments on Trump’s tariffs on China, risk of return to ‘tit-for-tat protectionism’ (2018)
- Washington Post: Prof. Shaffer op-ed: Examining Trump’s stealth war against the WTO (2017)
- CNN Money: Prof. Shaffer: Wine complaint part of U.S. efforts to pressure Canada in NAFTA talks (2017)
- The Huffington Post: Prof. Shaffer writes about putting into perspective the FBI investigation of Clinton emails (2017)
- BBC Mundo: Prof. Shaffer quoted extensively on WTO & market economy status for China (in Spanish) (2016)
- The Washington Post: Prof. Shaffer co-authors article explaining controversy, impact of WTO Appellate Body judge reappointment (2016)
Learn more about Professor Shaffer, his media appearances, awards and publications by viewing his bio, here.